The Society of the Catholic Apostolate (SAC) came to Wyandotte, Michigan in 1958. An agreement was made between Cardinal Mooney and Fr. James Mullin, SAC, Provincial Delegate. Fr. James Redmond was our Mission Director at that time and had made mission appeals in Detroit churches for the Diocese of Mbulu Tanzania, East Africa.
The Pallottines needed to have a residence for the Mission Director and for priests who were doing further studies at the University of Detroit. These priests were also able to help in parishes around the area. After a few months of negotiations, a house was bought from the Cahalan family on Fourth St. in Wyandotte. It was blessed on December 12, 1958.
This year, we are celebrating with the help of the community of our area, the 50th Anniversary of our Downriver Dinner Dance. We look back with pride that our efforts have resulted in a great growth of the church in East Africa.
The Irish Province of the Society of the Catholic Apostolate, see and continues to meet the challenge of evangelization and the development of the lay apostolate.
In 1990, Cardinal Edmund Szoka assigned the St. Joseph Parish to the Irish Pallottine Fathers. Because of their presence and involvement in the community, we give thanks for several priests who have been associated with the area churches.
Fr. Gerry Frawley was the first Pallottine to become Pastor of St. Joseph in 1990. In 2000, Fr. T.J. Moloney replaced Fr. Frawley and served for four years. Fr. Brendan Walsh became the next pastor in 2004 and served for one year. In 2005 the parish was blessed with Fr. Michael Cremin, who is the current pastor.
At this time, we wish to express our sincere thanks to all the parish communities of the greater Detroit area for their abiding interest and support.
The Irish Pallottines came to Wyandotte in 1973 to serve the Detroit community. We just celebrated our 50th anniversary of charism and ministry in Wyandotte. We were truly honored at our annual Dinner Dance to be recognized by several levels of state for our missionary work. Among the awards we received were:
• City of Wyandotte – Proclamation of contribution to the betterment of society
• US House of Representatives – Enriching and Strengthening the Community
• State of Michigan – Special Tribute
• City of Allen Park – Contributions to the City and Community
• City of Berkley – 50 years of Achievement
IRISH PROVINCE OF THE MOTHER OF DIVINE LOVE – WHERE WE WORK
The Pallottines came to Ireland in 1909, opening our first house in Thurles, Co. Tipperary which is currently the centre of our Mission Promotion as well as being aRetreat Centre. The headquarters of the Irish Province of the Mother Of Divine Love is located in Dundrum, Dublin 16 where we also have our House Of Formation. We serve in two parishes in the Archdiocese of Dublin – St. Patrick’s Corduff and St. Anne’s Shankill.
In England we serve in four parishes – St. Mary Star Of The Sea Hastings in theDiocese of Arundel and Brighton, Our Lady Of The Visitation Greenford in theArchdiocese of Westminister, St. Thomas More Barking, St. Vincent’s Dagenham and a chaplaincy in Bocking in the Diocese of Brentwod
The Basilica Of San Silvestro In Capite is the English Speaking Church in Rome and is served by the Irish Province of the Mother of Divine Love. Members of the Province also serve at the Pallottine Generalate which is the world headquarters of the Society of the Catholic Apostolate (Pallottine Fathers and Brothers)
The main apostolate in Argentina involves Parishes and Schools – San Patricio, Belgrano in the Archdiocese of Buenos Aires; Nuestra Senora del Rosario de Pompeya and Nuestra Senora de Fatima, Castelar in the Diocese of Morón; San Patricio, Mercedes and Nuestra Senora del Rosario, Suipacha in the Archdiocese of Mercedes-Luján; San Patricio, San Antonio De Areco in the Diocese of Zárate-Campana
The Pallottine Mission House in Wyandotte, Michigan is the centre for Mission Promotion of the Irish Pallottines in the USA. It is located in the Parish of St. Vincent Pallotti which is served by the Pallottines. Wyandotte is in the Archdiocese of Detroit as is St. Anne’s Ortonville. In Texas we serve two parishes – St. Brendan’s, Stephenville and St. Stephen’s, Weatherford in the Diocese of Fort Worth. Members of the Province also reside and serve in Lubbock, Texas; San Francisco and Springfield-Cape Girandeau
In the Archdiocese of Arusha we serve the Parish of St. Vincent Pallotti, Esso and the Pallottine House Of Formation for Philosophy is also located in the city of Arusha. In the Diocese of Mbulu we serve the parishes of Bashenet, Galapo, Boay, Magugu and Nangwa. Our Postulancy is based in Galapo and we also have a house in Mogitu. In the Diocese of Singida we are in the parishes of Makiungu and Siuyu. The Rehabilitation And Educational Centre is also in Siuyu.
In Kenya we are in two parishes in Dagoretti in the Archdiocese Of Nairobi – Sacred Heart and Queen Of Apostles. The House of Formation for Theology is at Ngong Raod, Nairobi.